In this episode, Janet and Nikki talk with Medical Exercise Specialist Brian Richey about how to work with a client with knee pain.
- Common causes of knee pain and how to know when to refer out
- Exercise protocols and contraindications for arthritis, ACL tears, patellofemoral syndrome meniscal tears and general knee pain
- How to use a foam roller to address knee pain
- Corrective exercises to decrease knee discomfort and improve alignment
- What muscle groups to target when you have knee pain
- The background on the study that found surgery wasn’t effective for addressing pain from meniscal tears
- Exercise recommendations for knee health
Listen to this episode
Episode length: 1 hour
Brian Richey, Medical Exercise Specialist
Brian, the owner/operator of Fit 4 Life DC, was born in Kailua, Hawai‘i, and graduated from the University of Hawai‘i with a B.S. in Exercise Science/Kinesiology.
While Brian is a personal trainer, he isn’t your typical one. Brian is a Medical Exercise Specialist and Post Rehab Conditioning Specialist, meaning that his level of understanding and working with and managing medical conditions with exercise is far beyond that of your typical trainer.
“My goal is to bridge the gap between the medicine and movement.”
While Brian might have been born in paradise, his childhood wasn’t all fun in the sun. He was an obese child, tipping the scales at over 420lbs by his 18 th birthday. His journey of weight loss ultimately led him to pursuit a career in personal training and help people not only in losing weight but also regaining and improving their quality of life.