In this episode, Janet and Nikki chat with Pilates teacher and mentor Chantill Lopez about how to help our students find greater autonomy and take ownership for the work that they do with us.
- The paradigm shift of moving from the “fixing” mentality to one of exploration and discovery
- How asking deeper questions can help us find intrinsic motivation beyond the boilerplate reasons why a lot of people come to Pilates and how these questions can better help us meet our or our students needs
- How to help our students set goals and take ownership for their choices and experiences
- The different stages of competency and teaching strategies to increase competency
- Top down versus bottom up processing
Listen to this episode
Episode length: 1 hour and 10 minutes
About Chantill Lopez
“Be real. Don’t fake it. Be able to say I don’t know. Laugh at myself. Extend compassion to myself and my students. Enter in fully, every time, ready or not.”
After more than 20 years of teaching, 15 of which have been spent teaching Pilates, yoga, dance, meditation and other movement modalities to a complex variety of folks, Chantill Lopez is proud to be a teacher of teachers. Building relationships with teachers who want to be unabashedly amazing at what they do — teachers who want to move beyond the clockwork pieces of technique and blow the top off their potential – is what excites her most about her work and keeps her inspired, creating continuing education and working with teachers world-wide.
She holds Pilates certifications from the PhysicalMind Institute and Body Kinetics with Master Teacher Carol Appel, is certified in Yamuna Body Rolling and Vinyasa yoga, and has extensively studied the work of Philip Beach, Feldenkrais, the Franklin Method, Authentic Movement, and the Halprin Life/Art Process, as well as Vipasana meditation, Buddhist psychology and The Work by Byran Katie. Chantill is a Pilates Method Alliance Certified Pilates Teacher (CPT) and CYT.
She is the founder of Skillful Teaching – an international live and online educational company for Pilates and yoga teachers and is the author of “Moving Beyond Technique: How To Nurture Your Passion, Master Your Craft, and Create a Thriving Pilates Business.”