In this episode, Janet and Nikki chat with licensed physical therapist and certified Pilates instructor Jessica Valant about working with pre and postnatal clients in a Pilates and fitness setting.
- What it means when a client has a diagnosis of endometriosis and how to work with them in a Pilates or fitness setting
- Signs of pelvic floor dysfunction and how to know if you should refer a client out to a medical professional
- How to stay in your scope of practice when working with pre and postnatal clients and the difference between assessment and diagnosis
- Exercise recommendations + suggestions for your postnatal clients
- Precautions to reduce your risk of causing a diastasis recti during pregnancy
- What you should know when working with someone who’s had abdominal surgery
- What to know about working with a client who is undergoing IVF
- Signs of prolapse and what to do if you suspect you or your client has one
- Why Jessica started Momentum Fest and how to be a part of it
Listen to this episode
Episode Length: 56 minutes
About Jessica Valant
Jessica has been a licensed physical therapist and certified Pilates instructor for over 17 years. She first experienced Pilates during a short inservice at her first PT job out of graduate school. She quickly fell in love and realized Pilates could be used as an amazing tool in helping to rehabilitate her patients.
She received her Pilates training through Polestar Pilates and is a Certified Pilates Teacher and continuing education provider under the Pilates Method Alliance. She has a successful fitness DVD series, YouTube channel, women’s health program and online Pilates studio called Jessica Valant Pilates. She was named a top 10 finalist in the 2015 Pilates Anytime Next Instructor Contest and teaches workshops and courses to other health care professionals and Pilates instructors.
Jessica’s love and passion for the Pilates industry led her to co-found Momentum Fest with her husband, Brian. Jessica believes movement should be empowering and exciting and she hopes to help all people in her classes feel the same. To learn more about Jessica visit her website jessicavalantpilates.com.