In this episode, Janet and Nikki chat with self-care expert and yoga teacher Alexandra Ellis about how to integrate self-massage, mobility, and strength work into a movement practice to improve function and decrease the risk of injury.
- The current scientific theories on what’s happening when we perform release work with balls or foam rollers
- The best applications for self-massage tools and how to know if you need a soft or hard tool
- The importance of strength work in reducing pain and tension + improving function
- The difference between flexibility and mobility
- When stretching can be beneficial (and when it might not be)
- Areas of the body that are often skipped over in release and strength work that would be helpful to target
Listen to this episode
Episode Length: 47 minutes
About Alexandra Ellis
Creator of AE Wellness, Body Nerd, and Self-Care expert, Alexandra Ellis has made it her life’s mission to better understand how the body works to help her clients DIY their self-care, strength, and injury recovery. Her teaching and studies focus on injury prevention, rehabilitation and wellness, inspired by her studies at UC Davis where she earned a BS in Exercise Biology. With a strong background and keen interest in anatomy and physiology, Alex strives to empower people to improve their health and well-being through a personal movement practice and enhanced body awareness.
Her programs have helped many people worldwide to be an empowered part of their health, rather than relying solely on their healthcare provider.When not Instagraming her food, workouts or Teacher Training adventures, Alexandra can be found teaching public classes in Los Angeles.
Learn more at www.aewellness.com